Saturday, October 13, 2012

Julie & Julia

I seldom get to watch movies these days. Mostly due to lack of time and also due to the hundreds of other things that I have to be doing. Catching movies at the cinema is like.... NEVER!! The last time I watched a movie at the cinema was probably in 2009. That was one time only in that year and the one before was probably in 2006. 

Anyway, when I do watch a movie it's usually online or DVD. Don't get me wrong.. I love buying movies. I just don't get to watch them. But last night I decided to watch Julie & Julia. 


It's a beautiful story based on TWO true stories. Both Julie and Julia are armature cooks. Not just any cooks, but French cooks. Julia's story tells the story of learning to cook French food in Paris while accompanying her husband who works with the American Embassy in Paris and bored with her life. That was in the 50's. While Julie lives in present day New York and unsatisfied with her work tries to emulate Julia by challenging herself to cook French food everyday for 1 year from Julia's 524 recipes. 

The story tells the struggle of both woman in mastering French cooking while at the same time coping with husbands, families, friends and everyday life. Both have very supporting husbands who loves them no matter what and both went through frustrations with the other side of cooking, which is publishing a book or a blog or critiques. 

I loved it and plus I love Meryl Streep who plays Julia and Stanley Tucci who plays her husband, Paul. I mean it's MERYL STREEP!!! Nuff said!

Although I was very disappointed with one part of the story which was what Julia commented on Julie's project of cooking all 524 recipes and blogging about it. It just did not seem like what Julia would have said. But I found an article in the New York Times online about that particular scene. Here's the link: Julia, Julie and me: Now it can be told. Although I should warn you that there are some spoilers, and advice that you watch the movie first before reading the article.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails